Apartment Renting Questions
Before committing yourself to signing the rental lease and renting an apartment, you need to be absolutely sure of your decision. Below are some questions you may want to ask the landlord before you do anything.
Questions about the Rent
- What is the rent amount and when is it due?
- How long did the last tenant stay, and how much rent did they pay?
- How long is the rental lease?
- Is there a penalty for late payments?
- Does rent include utilities?
- To whom is rent paid?
- How is rent payment to be made (i.e. by mail)?
Questions about Conduct
- When can you move in?
- Is the apartment rental currently occupied?
- How much notice is required to extend or cancel the lease?
- Under what conditions, if any, can you break the lease without penalty?
- Are pets in the apartment allowed?
- Is there a phone number to reach the landlord or superintendent in case of an emergency?
Questions about Deposits
- What is the deposit amount and what is it for?
- Is there a deposit for pets?
Questions about Obligations
- Who is responsible for repairs, including small ones?
- Are painting, refinishing, picture hanging, and other alterations permitted?
- If the rental housing is a house or duplex, who will be responsible for the yard?
Questions about Apartment Services
- Is parking available? If so, how many spaces for each apartment unit? Is there an extra fee?
- If there are no laundry facilities in the building, where is the nearest laundromat?
- What kind of security is there?
Articled published July 20th, 2009
Louer.com, Quebec Residential, Commercial and Vacation Rentals
see: Montreal Apartments